Picasa was a great way to share your photos. However, with Google Photos, its Picasa Web Albums are no longer in use. Except, I still feel that the Picasa application is still a great tool. You can still upload and share to your Google Photos and Google+ profile. A good feature is the Picasa backup feature on the application. You can create backups on a CD or DVD or on external or network drives. You cam only backup Picasa files like photos and videos you have uploaded on the Picasa application.
How to Create Picasa Backup on CD or DVD.
- Run the Picasa application on your PC.
- You do not need to sign in to your Picasa account for that. However, just in case, sign in and use this Picasa login steps article if you are confused.
- Then, click on the Tools option.
- A drop down list will appear.
- Click the Back Up Pictures… text.
- The Backup your photos page will appear on your application.
- Select the Picasa Web Albums you wish to backup.
- If you wish to customise the Picasa backup, click the Edit Set in the 1 Create a set or use an existing one area.
- Type in a name you wish to label the backup CD or DVD.
- Then, insert a writeable CD or DVD into your DVD Rom drive.
- Then, click the Burn button.
- Make sure you do not eject the CD or DVD while the backup is being created.
- The application will show you when the process is completed so be patient.
You can also use the backup feature on Picasa to create backups on an external drive. Make sure you have plugged it in. Then, make sure your desktop or Laptop is able to read it.
How to Create Picasa Backup on External or Network Drive:
- Likewise, open and run the Picasa application.
- Click on the Tools option and then the Back Up Pictures… text.
- In the 1 Create a set or use an existing one section, click on New Set.
- Type in a name for your Picasa backup.
- Tick next to Disk-to-disk backup (for external and network drives).
- Click on Choose… button which is right below the above text.
- Then, locate the location of your External drive or Network drive.
- When you have selected the Location, click on the OK button.
- Finally, click the Burn button and the Backup will be created.
- Similarly, don’t reject the external drive or stop the Picasa application.
To restore the Picasa backup, put the CD, DVD or external drive on your desktop or PC. Then, run the PicasaRestore.exe file. This will then create new folders and files on your PC from that backup. For network drivers, you will need to locate the location of the file and restore from there. This works best if you have shared networks over desktops and laptops.